2017 JERSEYARTS.COM PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Cultural organizations from throughout the state honored at New Jersey Conference on Tourism following public voting
BURLINGTON, N.J. (March 10, 2017) – Discover Jersey Arts, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts, is proud to announce the winners of the 2017 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards. After nearly 18,000 arts lovers cast their ballots for their favorite local groups and downtowns, winners in the annual awards were announced this morning at the 2017 N.J. Conference on Tourism in Atlantic City.
“For the ninth year in a row, the people of New Jersey have told us loud and clear that the arts matter,” said Nick Paleologos, Executive Director of the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. “In every corner of the state, from the smallest town to the biggest city, we rely on the work of these exceptional artists and arts organizations to make our communities vibrant, unique places to live, work and visit.”
From 11 arts districts and 98 organizations nominated, the public chose winners in 16 categories, with the ArtPride staff recognizing three additional organizations with honorable mentions.
The 2017 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards winners are:
- Favorite Large Performing Arts Center: New Jersey Performing Arts Center–NJPAC (Newark)
- Favorite Small Performing Arts Center: South Orange Performing Arts Center–SOPAC (South Orange)
- Favorite Theater to See a Musical: Paper Mill Playhouse (Millburn)
- Favorite Theater to See a Play: McCarter Theatre (Princeton)
- Favorite Art Museum: Grounds For Sculpture (Hamilton)
- Favorite Art Gallery: Arts Council of Princeton (Princeton)
- Favorite Symphony/Orchestra: New Jersey Symphony Orchestra–NJSO (Newark)
- Favorite Choral Group: Paper Mill Playhouse Broadway Show Choir (Millburn)
- Favorite Dance Company: American Repertory Ballet (New Brunswick)
- Favorite Opera Company: Opera at The Princeton Festival (Princeton)
- Favorite Music Festival: Jersey Shore Jazz & Blues Festival (Asbury Park/Long Branch/Point Pleasant)
- Favorite Film Festival: Montclair Film Festival (Montclair)
- Favorite Adult Art Class: Montclair Art Museum's Yard School of Art (Montclair)
- Favorite Visual Arts Camp: Montclair Art Museum's SummerART Camp (Montclair)
- Favorite Performing Arts Camp: Paper Mill Players (Millburn)
- Favorite Downtown Arts District: Red Bank
- Favorite South Jersey Performing Arts Center: The Levoy Theatre (Millville)
- Favorite South Jersey Film Festival: Garden State Film Festival (Atlantic City)
- Most Write-In Votes: New Jersey Choral Society (Ridgewood)
Nominees were determined by peer organizations in the Jersey Arts Marketers network, which is made up of hundreds of arts groups from around the state.
“The arts organizations highlighted in the People’s Choice Awards will not come as a surprise to many. The winners and nominees alike inspire hundreds every day,” said Adam Perle, President & CEO of ArtPride New Jersey. “These groups help our neighborhoods reach new heights and give us permission to fly to Neverland, dance on rooftops or simply take a longer, deeper look at the beauty that surrounds us. All of the nominees should be very proud of the important and impactful work they are doing.”
For detailed results and more information, visit JerseyArts.com/PeoplesChoice. Photos from today’s presentation are available at JerseyArts.com/Press/2017PCA.
About JerseyArts.com and Discover Jersey Arts
JerseyArts.com is the official website of Discover Jersey Arts, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State dedicated to increasing the awareness of and participation in the arts in New Jersey. The site features a comprehensive cultural events calendar and arts directory; feature stories on Culture Vultures Arts Weekly and the Jersey Arts Podcast; details on Jersey Arts Membership, including discounts and exclusive member events; an online gallery of New Jersey artists; and other content about the state’s cultural community.
About the New Jersey State Council on the Arts
The New Jersey State Council on the Arts is a division of the NJ Department of State. It receives funding in direct appropriations from the State of New Jersey through a dedicated Hotel/Motel Occupancy fee and grants from the National Endowment for the Arts. Since 1966, its volunteer members and professional staff have worked to improve the quality of life in New Jersey through strategic support of the arts. To learn more about the Council, please visit www.artscouncil.nj.gov.
About the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation
The ArtPride New Jersey Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes the value of the arts to New Jersey’s quality of life, education and economic vitality through research and a variety of programs and services. For more information about ArtPride, visit www.ArtPrideNJ.com.