ARTPRIDE NEW JERSEY ANNOUNCES WINNERS IN 2016 JERSEYARTS.COM PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS
Cultural organizations from throughout the state are honored at New Jersey Conference on Tourism following public voting
BURLINGTON, N.J. (March 4, 2016) — After a record-shattering year, the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation is thrilled to announce the winners of the 2016 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards. The Awards, which take place annually to honor the work of New Jersey’s vital, vibrant and diverse arts community, saw more than 21,000 ballots cast statewide – the greatest number of votes since its inception in 2008.
This year, 10 arts districts and 100 organizations were nominated for the Awards. These nominees were selected by peer organizations in the Jersey Arts Marketers network, made up of hundreds of nonprofit arts groups across the state.
“All of the nominees in the 2016 People’s Choice Awards should be very proud of the work they’re doing to bolster arts and culture in our state,” said Adam Perle, President & CEO of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation. “To be nominated by one’s peers is to wear a badge of honor that signifies ‘great art happens here.’ With more than 100 truly outstanding nominees, it’s easy to see how much exceptional art takes place right here in New Jersey.”
From the nominees, the public chose winners in 16 categories, with the ArtPride staff recognizing three additional organizations with Honorable Mentions.
The 2016 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards winners are:
- Favorite Large Performing Arts Center: New Jersey Performing Arts Center–NJPAC (Newark)
- Favorite Small Performing Arts Center: South Orange Performing Arts Center–SOPAC (South Orange)
- Favorite Theater to See a Musical: Paper Mill Playhouse (Millburn)
- Favorite Theater to See a Play: McCarter Theatre (Princeton)
- Favorite Art Museum: Grounds For Sculpture (Hamilton)
- Favorite Art Gallery: Arts Council of Princeton (Princeton)
- Favorite Symphony/Orchestra: New Jersey Symphony Orchestra–NJSO (Newark)
- Favorite Choral Group: Newark Boys Chorus (Newark)
- Favorite Dance Company: American Repertory Ballet (Princeton)
- Favorite Opera Company: Opera at The Princeton Festival (Princeton)
- Favorite Music Festival: Cape May Music Festival (Cape May)
- Favorite Film Festival: Montclair Film Festival (Montclair)
- Favorite Adult Art Class: Montclair Art Museum's Yard School of Art (Montclair)
- Favorite Art Camp: Montclair Art Museum's SummerART Camp (Montclair)
- Favorite Theater Camp: Paper Mill Players (Millburn)
- Favorite Downtown Arts District: Red Bank
- Favorite South Jersey Arts Camp: Appel Farm Arts Camp (Elmer)
- Favorite Central Jersey Performing Arts Center: State Theatre (New Brunswick)
- Favorite South Jersey Theater: The Eagle Theatre (Hammonton)
“The People’s Choice Awards allow us to honor our state’s incomparable cultural community, as well as highlight the passion of its supporters,” said Perle during today’s Awards presentation at the New Jersey Conference on Tourism at the Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City. “It’s clear from the sheer number of votes that come in, as well as how these awards grow by leaps and bounds each year, that the arts matter to New Jerseyans.”
For detailed results and more information, visit JerseyArts.com/peopleschoice. Photos from today’s presentation are available at http://j.mp/PCA2016Photos.
The JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards are coordinated through the Discover Jersey Arts program, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts aimed at increasing the awareness of and participation in the arts.
About JerseyArts.com and Discovery Jersey Arts
JerseyArts.com is the official website of Discover Jersey Arts, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State dedicated to increasing the awareness of and participation in the arts in New Jersey. The site features a comprehensive cultural event calendar and arts directory; feature stories and podcasts; details on Jersey Arts Membership, including discounts and exclusive member events; an online gallery of New Jersey artists; and other content about the state’s cultural community.
About the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation
The ArtPride New Jersey Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) organization that promotes the value of the arts to New Jersey’s quality of life, education and economic vitality through research and a variety of programs and services. For more information about ArtPride, visit ArtPrideNJ.com.